GUIDELINES FOR HANDLING THE CHANGE IN VAT RATE IN FINCON ACCOUNTING
On 21 February 2018, the National Treasury has announced that the Value Added Tax (VAT) rate will increase from 14% to 15%, effective from 1 April 2018.
Fincon Accounting has the ability to manage this change already built-in. Please follow the following guidelines on how to handle the changing of the VAT rate:
What needs to happen is as follows:
- The current VAT rate has to be changed to 15%; and
- A new VAT code has to be created for VAT at 14%.
Why the need to create a new VAT code for the old VAT rate?
Even though the VAT rate is changing to 15% on 1 April 2018, chances are that you are going to run into a situation where you need to credit an invoice or debit a GRV that was made using VAT at 14%. Instead of writing the invoice or GRV back at 15% percent (and unjustly benefitting or penalising yourself), you will use the VAT code for VAT at 14%.
NOTE: This has to happen right after the month-end procedures of March 2018, before trading starts for April 2018.
Perform the following steps in Fincon Accounting, on any workstation currently working on Fincon:
- Click the System menu item.
- Click the Tax Codes menu item.
- Change the rate of the current code 1 VAT to 15% for both Input Tax and Output Tax.
- Create a new VAT code for VAT at 14%, using the same ledger accounts as the code at 15%.
- Click the Accept button.
- Check that a new dialogue box appeared with the following message: The tax codes have been updated successfully.
- Click the OK button.
Here are some additional points to bear in mind:
- Transactions should be processed from 1 April 2018 on Fincon as usual.
- Whenever a credit or debit note is made for a transaction that occurred at the previous VAT rate (i.e. 14%), change the VAT code on the document to the new "old" VAT code created (code 02 in our example).
- Please do not hesitate to contact our support line should anything remain unclear.
The Fincon Team
012 663 7567